Five Weight Loss Tips You Can Actually Use
Obesity in the US is at an all-time high, in part due to the standard Western diet most of us have been led to eat, as well as the decreased exercise habits in today’s fast paced world. This lethal combination of high carb, processed foods and lack of movement ultimately leads to weight gain and weight related diseases. You probably already knew that though…
While many people are searching for weight loss plans to achieve quick and easy weight loss, it is important to note that any plan should be initiated with the long-term effects in mind. Making strong, healthy lifestyle choices will eventually lead to permanent weight loss and a healthy life.
The most important factor to consider when incorporating changes into your life, is to make them slowly. Make sure that the change is permanent before you move on to add another change to your lifestyle. By changing one or two things every couple of weeks or over the course of a month you’ll effect a change in your life that will have benefits for years to come.
1) The first tip is to get rid of the junk food in your home. You know what they are; snacks loaded with unhealthy fats, sugars and carbohydrates. Potato chips, ice cream, cookies, crackers and other processed foods. You may not be happy with this idea, and your family may revolt, but it will work!
Start slow – maybe only eliminate potato chips or ice cream, then once that has been accomplished over 2 or 3 weeks begin to discard the rest of the junk food in your diet.
Replace those snack foods with healthier choices, such as fruit and vegetables. Processed foods may seem more convenient, but grabbing a banana off the shelf or carrot out of the fridge is just as convenient. Plus, fruits and vegetables have more of the essential vitamins and nutrients your body needs, even fiber – your colon (and hind end) will thank you!
2) Next, strive to eliminate (or at least reduce) sweetened beverages from your diet. The amount of soda consumed in the US increases each year – along with the waistline of consumers. What was once an 8-oz drink is now 32 or 48 ounces. The sugar and carbohydrates in these drinks will add many pounds, and when they are removed from your diet, makes weight loss that much easier.
3) Now that you have moved away from sugary drinks, replace them with more water. Water helps to improve the condition of your skin, eliminate waste and toxins from your body and helps you to feel full longer. Try to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water each day. For instance, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should try to drink 80 ounces of water each day. That may feel like a lot at first, but it will help to improve the function and health of your body.
4) Your mom was right, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. People skip breakfast for many reasons – being too busy, not hungry, or thinking it will help with weight loss. However, skipping breakfast will actually increase your hunger and your cravings throughout the entire day. Then, when your resistance is low, you are more likely to snack on that donut at the office. Do your body a solid and don’t skip breakfast.
5) Exercise is vital. Include exercise in your daily routine to help burn calories and give you more energy. Exercise can be as easy as taking the stairs, a 30-minute walk around the neighborhood, or even your office parking lot during your lunch hour. You don’t have to be a sweaty exercise fanatic, just try to incorporate small movements into your daily routine. The long term effect on weight loss can be astounding.
The bottom line is that weight loss comes from eating fewer calories than you burn each day. No matter how you choose to accomplish that goal, the equation is the same: caloric deficit. Starting slow will make changes more sustainable and lead to higher motivation. Use these weight loss tips to get you started on the right track.
Of course, if you have any questions or feel like you need a little extra help, get in touch, I’d love to hear from you.
Jeff Spitzer, Nutrition In Focus
26 Weight Loss Tips That Are Actually Evidence-Based
10 Painless Ways to Lose Weight
Jillian Michaels: Weight-Loss Tips That Work
Our 75 Best Tips for Losing Weight
Content used with permission.